Recipe for large portion of Hong Zao (Fuzhou Hong Zhao 福州红酒), my grandma made it in a huge wine pot:
1. 6kg glutinous rice
2. 1kg fermented red rice
3. 10 pieces yeast for alcohol
4. 1kg fermented glutinous rice 1 bottle, around 750ml, must be cold boiled water
5. Store 40 days, everyday stir once
Documented in Chinese below:
Ingredients: yeast, red rice, glutinous rice.
I remembered you could buy the yeast biscuit from Albert centre market at Level 2
For smaller portion of hong zao, portion it out accordingly.
I recalled that you will have to put the glutinous rice in layers and cover it with the yeast and red rice powder mixture on each level.
Thereafter, fermentation can begin.
I still remember two distinct dishes with Hong Zao:
1) Red wine chicken soup mee sua
2) Hong Zao braised pork belly